Where do you feel most comfortable? At your current job in a cold office, or in your own home? The answer to that question is almost certainly in your own home. There, you have the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want. Wouldn’t it be great, then, to know exactly how to make money from home?
By not working in an office, you have full control over your time, the things you want to do, and the amount of money you can have! But, how exactly do you get started? With so many money-making opportunities online, it can be hard to find the right method for you.
But, don’t worry! We’ll show you 20+ ideas that ANYONE can do, regardless of their educational background, age, anything!
All you’ll need is a personal computer and an internet connection to begin.
All methods are guided by scoring metrics so you can determine if it’s the right one for you.
We ranked them with these:
This is based on two things: Startup and Payment
The ‘Startup’ scoring metric lets you know how long it will take you to make the necessary preparations before you get started. ‘Payment’, on the other hand, gives you an idea of the time it takes before you can start making money.
This shows the possible barriers to entry or to success so you’ll know what problems to expect and prepare solutions ahead of time.
This gives you a general idea of the amount that people earn so you can know what to expect or use it for comparison once you start making money.
4 Best Ways to Make Money from Home
These first four can be done during your spare time! Once you’ve found it enjoyable, you can strategize and make it as one of your major sources of income.
1. Fill Out Paid Surveys
Would you like to share your opinion about laundry detergent, politics, or anything under the sun? If so, this is good news, because you can actually make money by sharing your opinion!
Companies need data for refining or making new products, and direct answers from their target consumers are some of the most valuable data they can get their hands on. They’re willing to pay YOU for your opinion, and you can make money from taking a survey in as little as 10 minutes.
All you need to do is sign up at one of the recommended survey portals, wait for a survey to land in your inbox and then fill out the survey. The survey company then adds money to your account once everything is processed. Simple!
If you dedicate just a little time to this, you can easily make as much as $5000 per year. We have seen examples of people who made over $1000 on it, which is pretty nice considering that it’s just a matter of sharing your opinion!
It’s definitely worthwhile to sign up for more than one survey portal, and for this reason, we have recommended some examples you can check out:
- Signing up and answering surveys take only a few minutes.
- Every paid survey platform has a different payout amount, ranging from $5, which can be reached pretty quickly, to $50, which will take much longer.
- You don’t need any special skills or background to be able to answer paid surveys.
- Most surveys pay from $0.5 to $5 for about 5 to 20 minutes of your time, depending on the topic.
2. Do Cryptocurrency Trading
Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum have turned normal people into millionaires. For example if you had invested $5 in Bitcoin in 2011, today you would have more than $4 million dollars!
Most people are scared to start earning money from cryptocurrencies because they think it’s too hard. But that’s absolutely not true! On IncomeNinjas, we’ve made it easier for anyone to understand cryptocurrencies.
The most common way to earn money with cryptocurrencies is by trading them. This is simply buying when the price is low and selling when the price is high. As long as you have internet access and a PC or phone, you can trade anywhere!
Successful trades are born from knowledge and a little help, usually in the form of a trading software. We’ve tested many beginner-friendly apps and we’re sharing the best ones to you!
- Once you have a cryptocurrency wallet and an account in a cryptocurrency platform, you can start buying and selling coins.
- You can get your profits in less than a day and withdraw them.
- The cryptocurrency market is volatile, meaning the prices can increase or decrease significantly in a few hours. For example, Bitcoin traders who invested $1000 can make an extra $300 within a day.
3. Do freelancing Jobs
Freelancing is one of the easiest ways to make money from home by yourself.
All you do is take the skills you already have, go to an online job posting site, and find clients who need some help! You can work on super interesting projects, and can make good money the same day you start!
Some skills you can freelance with are:
You can even freelance with some higher skills or things that you think you’d need a typical “job” for, like: marketing, engineering, law, and accounting. The possibilities are honestly endless!
- Making your profile on any freelancing platform or advertising your skills on Facebook groups take less than an hour.
- You can negotiate your payment schedule with your clients. Generally, you are paid whenever the contract is completed, so the payment time depends on the project.
- In most cases, people already have a skill they can sell. However, it could take some time to build your reputation and get requests from high-paying clients.
- Freelancers can make either a few hundreds or a few thousands a month depending on the industry.
4. Do Blogging
Blogging is one of the most fun ways to make money from home. If you like to write, have an opinion about something important, or want to share your thoughts, then blogging might be right for you!
Starting a blog is free if you do it through a platform like WordPress, and you can easily upgrade to premium features (like having your own website at www.yourname.com) for very cheap.
Bloggers usually make money by building up a loyal audience who read what they write. Eventually, a blogger can sell their readers products, information packages, consultations on subjects they’re writing about, and more.
Here are more ideas you can do:
- Join an affiliate program. Affiliate marketers promote a product or service through ads or links, and they get a commission for each click
- Attract sponsorships and endorse their products or services
- Sell your own products or services (like your own courses or coaching!)
- Choosing the right theme, writing your first published content, and marketing your blog to get readers usually take a few days.
- Bloggers usually make money when their readers click on the things they promote. The payment arrangement can be payment after one post, pay-per-click, to name a few ways.
- Anyone who likes to write can start a blog, but they have to be strategic. You can check out the ten steps to be a successful blogger in this guide.
- If you managed to collect somewhere between 1,000 to 50,000 followers or more, you would most likely be paid for lots of sponsorships and affiliate partner commissions.
Other Top Things You Can Do Using Social Media
If you’re more interested in building sources of income from social media sites, then read ahead!
5. Set Up An Instagram Account and Become An Influencer
Instagram is one of the hottest new ways to make money online. You start by finding something you love to take pictures of or a specific style, build a following, and then you can eventually get sponsors and brand deals. That means you can just get paid for mentioning a product in a post! You can also work on making your own products, or selling someone else’s.
Either way, Instagram is a fun way to turn your passion for taking cool pictures into money.
If you want to be an influencer, then you can start by:
- Picking a niche you’re passionate about
- Getting an Instagram Business account
- Building a great bio
- Learning about using the right hashtags
- Creating an Instagram business account takes a few minutes. But you need to consistently post quality photos with the right hashtags for a number of months to attract your intended audience.
- Collecting a substantial number of followers to attract sponsorships and have a market who can click on your promoted content can take months or years.
- You need to understand your audience well so you can post content that they can relate to and engage with.
- The number of engaged followers determines how much you can charge per sponsored post. Essentially, the more followers you have, the more you can expect to earn.
6. Become A Youtuber
YouTube is another fun and creative way to express your voice, and make money while you’re at it.
Video content is the highest rising star right now, and it is primed to be the most popular content for the foreseeable future. Millions of people flock to YouTube to watch videos and if you know how to turn those views into cash, you’ve got a great source of passive income.
YouTubers make a lot of money. Even smaller channels with 30-50k subscribers can make a modest $350 – $500 a month. And that’s just from their YouTube Ad revenue.
If you’re interested, you can:
- Sell merchandise
- Use the platform to fund your projects
- Become an affiliate partner
- Anyone can make a YouTube channel! No college degrees, no minimum age requirement.
- It may take a few months or even a year before you can start earning from YouTube ads and revenue.
- Popular niches are dominated by the top channels, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make a channel talking about it. Audiences are always looking for something fresh. So, either try your best to stand out in a saturated niche or pick one that has low competition.
- YouTubers with a million subscribers can make thousands of dollars a month just from one video.
7. Stream on Twitch
Twitch is one of the most popular gaming streaming services. Hundreds of people are making money from home just by recording their gaming sessions.
If you’re serious about Twitch gaming, then you can turn this side hustle into a full-time career.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Find a gaming streaming software that works for you
- Invest in a good camera and microphone
- Play regularly
- You’ll need to have plenty of charisma and better than average gaming skills if you want to compete against the top streamers.
- The more followers you have, the higher your earnings! The most popular streamers get paid millions of dollars a year!
8. Use Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a very popular method where you can make consistent, high amounts of money once everything is set up.
What is affiliate marketing? It’s when you advertise someone else’s products or services. If your user clicks on an ad, and buys the product or service, you get a commission, usually in the form of money!
While affiliate marketing is not as easy as some of the other income methods, it can produce VERY high sums of money that come to you every month, and it’s all quite passive.
You may have seen some affiliate links throughout this article, and if you are interested in monetizing your own blog, we can highly recommend VigLink to do so. This is an outbound-traffic monetization service for publishers’ forums and bloggers like yourself.
Another affiliate network you can check out is AdPump, the global performance marketing network in the UK, GR, US, FR, ES, IT and Asia focused on enhancing business effectiveness for both advertisers and publishers.
If you’re interested, here are some tips to help you get started:
- Make a website that can attract your target audience
- Apply for many affiliate partnership programs
- Learn how to make a good sales funnel
- Making a website is easy but applying effective sales techniques takes time. Sometimes you need to test different copies to see which one works.
- As long as you have a high amount of followers or readers who click on your affiliate links on your personal channels, you can receive huge amounts of commissions passively.
Make Money from Home by Selling Products Online
There are many platforms where you can easily promote your items to a very wide audience.
We’ve listed the best ones below, so read on!
9. Selling Books on Amazon
If you’re good at writing, then why don’t you try publishing a book on Amazon?
Every day, thousands of people from across the globe use Amazon to buy eBooks. This high traffic volume gives you the biggest opportunity to reach the right audience for your content.
These are some of the most popular book genres:
- Making an Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Account and listing your items takes roughly one hour.
- If you’re a new seller, it can take around 30 days before you can get your payment.
- Once you’ve written the book, just publish the document on Amazon and it will be listed in a few hours.
- Depending on the popularity, marketing, competition and price range, you can make a lot of money. Once your book is launched and reasonably successful, Amazon will take over promoting it, and you don’t have to do anything anymore.
10. Selling Used Items Online
If you have a lot of things that you don’t use anymore yet are still in great shape, there’s money to be made from that!
You can reach a wider potential market by using the internet. Just make an account on websites that specialize in selling preloved items, post your items, and you’re done!
Here are some online platforms to help you do this:
- Taking time to take a good picture of your used items and writing an attractive description per item can take a few days, especially if you have a lot to sell.
- Typically, you get paid a few days after the buyer receives the product. In some cases, it can take a few months for you to get paid. Each selling platform has its own rules for when you can get your money, so make sure you are informed of it.
- Anyone with an account on any selling platform can list an item for sale.
- You can rake in thousands of dollars by selling items, depending on their value and customer demand.
- Have an account in an online shopping website
- PayPal or a similar payment processing account
- Used items to sell
- Item shipment options
11. Sell Handicrafts
If you’re confident with your handicraft skills, then it can be a very good source of revenue. Some people will pay a lot of money for unique, high-quality handmade items.
Once you’re ready to sell your handmade products, here are some tips for you:
- Open an account in an e-commerce website, like Etsy
- Open an online shop on social media sites like Instagram or Facebook
- Promote your products on your blog or YouTube video
The more exposure your product has, the better!
- Unique handicraft products can sometimes take weeks, if not months, to finish.
- Interested buyers will usually pay you upfront.
- It takes a lot of skills and time to consistently produce high-quality handmade items.
- It’s possible to make thousands of dollars just by selling a single item.
- A high-quality product
- A shipment processor
- An interested buyer
12. Sell Clothes Online
Clothes are some of the most sellable products online. Many platforms dedicate entire categories just to sell different types of clothing.
It is a billion-dollar industry that offers a lot of opportunities to succeed. Many people make thousands of dollars a month just by selling popular clothing items.
These are a few places where you can sell clothes:
- Opening an online shop usually means choosing an online platform to set up shop (it can be through an e-commerce website or even an Instagram business page), taking good pictures of the clothes you want to sell, and posting your items.
- Customers pay first before the clothes they bought will be considered sold.
- Just take a photo of the clothes you want to sell then post it online.
- You can make thousands of dollars selling clothes. However, shipment fees and your competitors’ prices can lower your profits.
- A stock of clothes to sell
- A proper payment processing system
- An account in an e-commerce website or a social media business page
13. Sell Stock Photos
If you have a good camera, an eye for beauty, and basic editing skills, then you can make serious money just by selling stock photos.
Here are some of the most popular stock photo categories:
- Exotic locations
- Everyday items
- Depending on the platform you submit your photos to, it may take a few days before they get approved and appear on the site.
- Your payment time depends on the platform. Most of them pay you at fixed intervals.
- If you want your photos to sell, then you’re going to have to learn about the stock photography market and improve your technical photography skills.
- Your earnings usually depend on how popular your photographs are. Fortunately, you can offer exclusive licenses for your photographs. You could make hundreds of dollars a month depending on your agreement with the ones who purchased the license.
- A decent camera
- Basic photography skills
- Editing skills
14. Create an Online Store in an eCommerce Site
Creating your ecommerce store is an amazing way to make a lot of extra income. You can list any product and sell it for any price.
You can make a site from scratch or use templates from platforms like:
Once everything is set up, you can start posting photos of your products and marketing them to your target audience.
- If you want to make the website yourself, then it could take you a few weeks or longer to launch your website. Fortunately, you could speed up this process by hiring freelance developers.
- Depending on the system plugged into your site, you can receive the payments for products almost immediately.
- Ecommerce is a very competitive industry. You’ll need to use effective marketing skills and optimise your site for SEO if you want to attract visitors to your online shop.
- If you have very good products, then it’s possible for you to make thousands of dollars a month.
- An account in an ecommerce website
- Good products
- Easy payment options
More Ways You Can Do
If making money online isn’t your thing, then you can do any of these tried and tested ways.
15. Have Your Car Rented
If you’re not using your car that often, you can have it rented! There’s a market for people without cars that want to go on roadtrips or tourists who want to drive on their own within your city.
If you’re interested, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Make a clear and concise guideline for renters
- Decide whether you’ll accept cash or credit
- Set a timetable for your renters
- Just post your rental services on social media along with good photos of the car and wait for people to contact you.
- You can request payments upfront or ask clients for an initial deposit.
- Once a renter agrees to your guidelines and signs a contract, you can collect your fees and give them the car keys.
- Hundreds of dollars a month can be earned by doing this. However, take note that you’ll also have to cover your car’s repair and maintenance costs.
- A car
- A clear set of rules for renters
- Car insurance
16. Look After Other People’s Pets
If you love animals, then pet sitting is a good idea for a side gig!
You probably know a few friends and neighbors who might need your services. This is perfect for pet owners going away on a trip or going home late and need their pets cared for during their absence.
Here are a few tips to help you start your pet sitting hustle:
- Prepare a record file that lists down a pet’s breed, color, health history, and other important details
- Prepare an area in your house that will keep pets from any harm
- Identify which features will be part of your pet-sitting services
- Advertise your services, starting with people you already know
- Friends and neighbors with pets will likely be some of your first few clients.
- You can ask your clients to pay you in cash when they come back to pick up their pets.
- If you love animals, then you most likely have a good idea on how to look after them.
- Hundreds of dollars a month can be earned by doing this. However, take note that you’ll also have to cover your car’s repair and maintenance costs.
- A sizable space in your house
- First aid kits for you and the animals
- Basic knowledge of animal care
17. Host Your Home in Airbnb
If you have a house in a city that gets a lot of visitors, then you can make a lot of money by renting out your home!
Many travellers choose to book their rooms on Airbnb over hotels because of its cheaper price, good location, and personalized services.
Before you host your home on Airbnb, prepare these things:
- Good photos of the place you’re listing
- House rules
- Housekeeping services
- Some personalized touch
If you’re able to create a pleasant staying experience, you can expect tips, a good review, and new connections!
- It takes a few days before Airbnb verifies your listed property.
- You can ask short-term renters to pay you as soon as they arrive at the property.
- Property maintenance is your main concern. Fortunately, you can hire someone you can trust to clean and maintain the home for you.
- If your house is situated in a good location or if it’s a peak season for visitors, you can expect high earnings.
18. Become An Online Tutor
Tutoring students online can be a very rewarding and profitable side job if you like helping people understand new things.
Tutoring is usually a one-on-one session. You can focus on your student’s learning style and adjust to help them better understand their lessons from school. Due to this, you need to have flexibility, patience, and good communication skills.
You can offer your services to any of these tutoring sites:
- For some platforms, you’ll need to submit a copy of your certifications to see if you’re qualified. This process could take a few days to complete.
- It varies per platform. There are some who will let you receive payment after finishing a class session or on a bi-monthly basis.
- You have to adjust to your student’s level of understanding and have to keep updated with the latest information on your specialized subject.
- Generally, private tutors can charge anywhere from $17 to $ 45 or higher, depending on their skills, experience, and location.
- Be aware of the important tips before becoming a tutor
- Good communication skills
- A stable internet connection
- Expertise in a certain area
Investing and Earning Money from Home
Investing isn’t just for millionaires. If you have an extra and modest amount of cash, there are many ways you can begin investing with that!
There are a lot of user-friendly online investment platforms that you can use to grow your portfolio. These are some of the options you can try.
19. Invest in Crowdlending
If you have a fair bit of cash and want to invest it in a promising project, then crowdlending is for you.
Crowdlending lets you quickly invest in startup projects without having to go through a bank. If the projects you invested in turn out to be successful, you get back payment with interest.
Some of the most popular crowdlending websites are:
- For most crowdlending platforms, you can sign up and invest in a project within a day.
- Typically, crowdlending investors get money through dividends, monthly or quarterly, or yearly depending on the platform.
- Finding a promising project takes a fair bit of time. You need to research a little bit about the project and its owner to know if it is worth investing in.
- Very successful projects can give a payout of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.
- An investment account
- A sizable sum of cash
20. Invest in Stocks
Stock market investing has proven to be one of the most profitable ways to grow your cash in the long term. The stock market gives you access to a lot of companies with big potential for growth.
There are a lot of promising corporations listed in the index that you can invest in.
But, it’s better to focus your money on companies that deal with proven assets. Some of these include:
- Energy (Fossil Fuel, Geothermal energy, etc.)
- Healthcare (Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare Products, etc.)
- Materials (Iron, Steel, or Copper Products)
- Information Technology (Tech Startups, AI development, and Tech Solutions)
- In most cases, you’ll need to open an investment account with an accredited bank.
- Many banks take the time to verify your identity before letting you withdraw your cash. The entire process could take days or even weeks to complete.
- You can still invest in the stock market even if you’re a beginner. All you have to do is find a trusted investment specialist and follow their advice.
- Stock investment specialist fees, bank transaction fees, and government tax can take up a big part of your overall profits.
- A clean credit history
- Investment account with an accredited bank
- Money to invest
21. Invest in Real Estate
Real estate is a complicated yet profitable market to invest in. In popular areas, investment returns can be huge.
Properties in less popular locations, on the other hand, offer lower returns but have the biggest potential for growth.
If you have invested in a property, here are two main ways you can make money with it:
- Hold it for awhile until you can sell it for its maximum value and price
- Have it rented out (as a vacation home, long-term rental, etc.)
- Finding a promising piece of real estate that fits your budget can take months. In addition, the process of buying the property could take a couple of weeks.
- If you’re renting out the property, you could ask for payments immediately. But if you’re selling it, you might have to wait for months before you see any money.
- If you’re thinking of selling your real estate investment, you’ll have to wait for a buyer with a good offer. If you’re thinking of renting it out, you have to know your responsibilities as a landlord.
- Your primary sources of revenue are your renters and the land’s selling value. However, your potential returns are affected by the property’s location. If it’s located in a popular area, you can charge more.
22. The Obvious Choice – Become Self-employed
If you want to take full control of your earnings and work schedule, then being self-employed is the perfect career choice for you.
Some of the most common businesses you can do at home are:
- Virtual assistant services
- Online consulting services
- It could take a few days, months, or even a year before your business can fully launch.
- Finding your first-paying client might take awhile. Generally, clients would pay upfront, but this depends on what kind of business you have.
Most self-employed business owners face tight competition. That means if you want to succeed, then you should find a way to stand out and make your services or products the preferred choice
If your business is successful, it’s possible for you to make many thousands of dollars a week.
- A product or service
- An internet connection
- A payment system
How to Avoid Scams on the Internet
Thanks to the internet, there are plenty of online-based options available that you can do.
But because of that, bad things such as scams also lurk in the online space.There are a lot of people who will take advantage of you if you’re not careful. Scammers usually promise deals that sound too good to be true or lure you into activities so they can take your information and money from you.
Here are 5 tips to help you defend against these scams:
- Ask every possible question before taking a job request
- Clearly define the job description
- Never give out your personal information (credit card, passwords, address, etc)
- Do your research about the client or company
- If in doubt, ask help from a professional
Reasons Why You Should Get Started Earning Money from Home
A great many people have realized that having just a 9-5 job is frequently financially insufficient for realizing their dreams and desires. To earn extra money, they could find a new job, increase their hours or ask for a raise, but looking at it realistically, these three solutions are probably not particularly great.
Wouldn’t it be great to have just $300 extra per month? Or maybe get rid of your 9-5 job completely?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we hope you’ve chosen something to do from this article! By doing this, you can create an additional income stream, thus getting closer to your dreams and desires.
Just in case you need more reasons to get started, know these:
You Can Create Extra Income
Instead of relying solely on your office job, you can build another source of revenue by doing remote tasks!
You Can Make Money From Anywhere in the World!
Despite this article’s title, your chances of making money are not limited at home. Some methods can be easily done while you’re travelling, sitting on the train, or relaxing at the beach.
You Can Make a Living Just from Home
We are not recommending that you quit your job right now. But we’re telling you that if you work on some of the methods here, it’s quite possible to make enough money from home and be able to quit your job eventually!
You Will Find that it’s Fun, Exciting, and Rewarding
With this work setup, you are the sole determinant of how much money you make. This challenge of working for yourself develops your independence and growth in the direction you want.
There is No Limit to How Much Money You Can Make!
When working at a ‘normal’ job, there is, to some extent, a limit to how much money you can earn. But, you avoid this when you’re a freelancer or a self-employed worker. By continually improving your skills and seeking remote work opportunities, there are no limits to your potential income!
Now All You Have to do is Get Started!
We hope you’ve been able to choose something to do from this guide. Remember that you’re not limited to doing just one method, as some of them can complement each other well. Example: Blogging about your cryptocurrency trading experience!
Even if you’re still working, finding sources of supplementary income that you can easily do anywhere might eventually become your main source of living…all in your own terms.
If you’re still unsure with which method is right for you, you can take our short IncomeNinjas quiz and find out within minutes!